Length of Agreement
The agreement period is 2 years.
To be eligible for the scheme you must:
- Be a University of Cambridge employee with at least 2 years and 3 months remaining on your contract of employment at the time you order your car.
- Have completed 3 months continuous service at the time you order your car.
- Earn above the National Minimum Wage after the salary exchange reduction.
- Be a UK taxpayer (pay tax and NI via PAYE).
- Hold a full UK or EU driving licence which you have held for over 1 year.
- Be up to date with any payments relating to the CAMbens Cars scheme in respect of any previous agreements (and any other University employee benefits schemes) at the point of placing an order.
You may nominate your Spouse/Civil or Domestic Partner aged between 17 and 65 to be able to drive your CAMbens Car. They must have held a valid full UK of EU driving licence for at least 1 year. You or your nominated Spouse/Civil or Domestic Partner must be the main user.
You may also nominate up to a maximum of two Additional named drivers aged between 21 and 65. They must have held a valid full UK or EU driving licence for at least 1 year. Additional named drivers must share the same address as you or be an immediate family member (son, daughter, step-son, step-daughter, parent). Where an additional driver is nominated the applicable rate will be based on the age of youngest driver and a named specified certificate will be issued.As the employee of The University of Cambridge, it will be your responsibility to ensure that anyone you nominate to drive your CAMbens Car fulfils the eligibility criteria.
Driving licence check
As a participant of the scheme you will be required to complete a mandate, permitting the University of Cambridge to confirm your driving licence status. You will be contacted if there are any issues with your licence check.
Please note that driving convictions or endorsements may have an effect on your insurance premium and excess, please see the insurance section for further information.
You will be able to select from a predetermined list any make and model of car provided that the cost does not take your salary below the National Minimum Wage. As the scheme is designed to give you the best tax efficiencies based on the vehicles list price and carbon dioxide emissions, vehicle choice has been restricted to a maximum carbon dioxide emission of 75g/km.
Services included in the scheme package
Motor insurance, routine maintenance including tyre and glass replacement, annual Road Fund Licence, servicing, breakdown assistance and accident management are all included at no extra cost.
The following costs and charges will be payable by the employee:
- Any charges such as parking fines, speeding fines or congestion charges incurred during the agreement period (see Maintenance and In Life Events/Costs section for more information).
- Any minor damage not covered by maintenance or insurance (see Maintenance and In Life Events/Costs section for more information).
- Insurance excesses (see Insurance section for more information).
- Damage to the vehicle at the end of the agreement that fall outside of the BVRLA Fair Wear and tear guidelines (see End of Agreement Events/Processes section for more information).
- Excess mileage charges where the vehicle has gone over the agreed mileage (see End of Agreement Events/Processes section for more information).
- Early termination charges and any other costs incurred on termination (see End of Agreement Events/Processes section for more information).
- Road Fund Licence increases (see Maintenance and In Life Events/Costs section for more information).
- Increases to your salary reduction where there has been a VAT increase mid agreement.
- Any charges that are a direct result of non-compliance with items specified in this Scheme Rules document or the Salary Exchange Agreement.