The University's Employee Self-Service (ESS) system enables employees to view and download payslips online. Further details of ESS and the log-in page can be found on the HR Systems web pages.
Online payslips have been adopted by many other organisations in the UK, and internationally, and are considered to have a number of benefits:
- Staff can access both current and historic payslips 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- It is easy to provide a bank or building society with back issues of payslips in support of a mortgage application.
- Copies of payslips can be accessed without having to consult the payroll team.
- Data security is improved as payslips are sometimes left on desks, in pigeon holes or around the workplace.
- Payslips can be accessed remotely, anywhere in the world.
Electing to Receive an E-mail Notification
If you wish to receive an email notification when your payslips are available you should follow these instructions:
- Once logged into ESS: Select the Payslips option on the left hand side of this page which will open the Payslips section of ESS titled 'Employee self-service - Payslip history'.
- At the top right is a blue box titled 'Start Receiving Payslip Notifications'.
- Clicking on this box opens a new window.
- Clicking on the 'Yes' button will confirm the action and confirm which work e-mail address will be used for the notification.
- If the work e-mail address is incorrect, go to the ESS Home Page, using the blue button on the bottom left of this page.
- The page headed 'Employee Self-service - Welcome' will appear.
- Select 'View and Amend Your details' from the available options.
- Click on the 'Contact Details' Tab.
- Click on 'Edit' and enter the work email address that you would like the notification to be sent to. A list of valid formats is available here: Email Formats.
- Click on 'Submit'.
- The changes will be saved.
If you require any assistance or would like to offer any feedback, please contact the CHRIS Helpdesk on tel. 01223 760999, or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
An online version of this form is now available. To view your P60 simply log in to self-service and select 'P60' under the 'Available Options'.
Online versions are currently available for the tax years 2009/10,2010/11 and 2011/12 and will be provided in future years.
HM Revenue and Customs advise that changes have been made to the PAYE regulations to allow employers to provide P60 information online. As a result, substitute P60's are now available via ESS. The online substitute form includes additional text stating 'this is a printed copy of an eP60' and the address shown on it is your home address. These are both statutory requirements for online P60 forms.
You may download and/or print your online P60 at any time and as often as you wish.
HM Revenue and Customs also advise that in the event that you need to claim a repayment from them, they will not accept e-mails with copies of the online P60 form attached. They will still require your claim to be supported by a paper P60 or the printed output of the online P60.