skip to content

Human Resources

Suitable for: 
  • A person on leave from an overseas academic institution who wishes to come to the UK to make use of their leave to carry out their own private research or exchange information on research techniques. This may include some collaboration with staff at the host university or use of facilities.
  • An academic (including doctors) taking part in an arranged exchange. For example, where a UK university is collaborating with an overseas university on research and exchange staff for some or all of the duration of the project (although any salary is paid by the academic's own overseas institution).
  • An eminent senior doctor or dentist, (i.e. someone considered to be top of their field of expertise) coming to take part in research, teaching or clinical practice.
Maximum Stay (Months): 
Only reasonable travel & subsistence expenses. No salary.
  • Intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit.
  • Be able to maintain themselves and any dependants without having recourse to public funds or work.
  • Be able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey from the UK.
Must Not: 
  • Receive funding for their work from any United Kingdom source (payments of expenses, including travel or honoraria to cover their needs whilst in the UK may be disregarded, as may payments on an exchange basis).
  • Intend to take employment or engage in any work other than the academic activity for which they are being admitted.
  • Be filling a normal post or a genuine vacancy.
  • Normally be a recent graduate
  • Be entering to study for an academic qualification (these must come in on Tier 4)
  • Be on sabbatical leave from a private research company