skip to content

In most cases before assigning a Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) require us to conduct the ‘Resident Labour Market Test’ (RLMT). This test is intended to ensure that the position cannot be filled by a settled worker before we sponsor someone from outside the EEA.

How do I conduct a RLMT?

The HR Division has produced a Guide to the Resident Labour Market Test which is designed to assist recruiters in understanding and meeting UKVI's Tier 2 advertising requirements, particularly for PhD level roles (those which are most commonly filled by individuals requiring a Tier 2 CoS).

Please see the 'Advertise the vacancy' section of the HR Recruitment Guidance webpages for full detailed guidance on the Resident Labour Market Test. This includes guidance on how to take screenshots of online adverts in order to meet the requirements of the Resident Labour Market Test.

When is the RLMT not required?

You must conduct a RLMT before assigning a CoS unless one of the following applies:

  • The gross annual salary package for the job will be £159,600 or more.
  • The individual is a current employee making a Tier 2 extension in the same job.
  • The individual is a current employee changing jobs within the University who will continue to work in a job defined by the same SOC code.
  • The role is a supernumerary research position. This includes the following situations:

    • Where the applicant will receive funds from a scientific research grant or Fellowship by a body external to the University (usually, an individual who is named on a grant/Fellowship); or

    • The applicant has been selected through a competitive process on the basis of their own research proposal and the funding of the research is secured in an agreement between the Sponsor and a third party organisation (this includes, but is not limited to, Marie-Sklodovska Curie grants and Leverhulme grants); or

    • The applicant has previously worked with the lead researcher as part of their team for a continuous 12 month period immediately before the date of the Certificate of Sponsorship application.

  • The job is on the UKVI shortage occupation list. For University recruitment purposes, the following roles are on this list:
    • All roles classified under SOC Code 2112: Biological scientists and biochemists
    • Archaeologists classified under SOC Code 2114
    • Bio-informatician and informatician roles classified under SOC Code 2425 Actuaries, economists and statisticians
  • Post-study work. This covers any individual switching to a Tier 2 (General) visa from one of the following types of visa:
    • Tier 4 Doctorate Extension scheme visa; or
    • Tier 4 (General) student visa, but only if:
      • Their most recent sponsor was a Higher Education Institution; and
      • Have completed, or be applying no more than 3 months before the expected end date of a UK bachelors or masters degree, or a UK Postgraduate Certificate in Education or Professional Graduate Diploma of Education; or
      • Have completed a minimum of 12 months study in the UK towards a UK PhD
  • A former employee is resuming their previous post following a period of academic leave. The individual must have previously been granted a Tier 2 (General) visa/BRP and the break in their employment must have been solely due to a period of academic leave. Note: if the individual leaves the UK and their Tier 2 visa was valid for longer than 3 months, the 'cooling off' period will then apply and they cannot return to the UK on another Tier 2 visa within 12 months. Please consult the Compliance Team for futher details.