skip to content

An individual may have an automatic or indefinite right to work in the UK, and therefore don't need a visa to work in the UK, because:

Right to work checks

If your new member of staff has an automatic right to work in the UK, or indefinite leave to remain in the UK, you must still take copies of documents proving this right before they start work. The procedure for undertaking right to work checks correctly is set out in the Right to Work checks section of our webpages.

The documents which confirm the individual has an indefinite and ongoing right to work in the UK can be found in List A of the Home Office 'Employer's guide to right to work checks'. For ease of reference, you can find full details of the types of documents we can accept on the University's Job Opportunities webpages:

For departments paying an individual under the University Payment System (UPS), please see the UPS guidance on right to work checks.

List of EU/EEA countries

All citizens of the countries listed below have the automatic and unlimited right to work in the UK. Please see the University's Brexit FAQs for further information/advice, following the EU referendum result.

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland (not EU or EEA but have free movement to UK)