University employees on maternity leave can remain in possession of the car for the full length of their maternity leave. However, the underlying salary exchange arrangement can only operate against their period of Enhanced Maternity Pay (the first 18 weeks when staff remain on full pay) and not against the remainder of the maternity leave (up to 34 additional weeks). Salary exchange reductions will therefore re-commence when the employee returns from maternity leave if the agreement period has not expired. If the agreement period expires when the employee is on maternity leave, they will have the same options available to all employees as set out in the End of Agreement Procedure section.
If an employee does not return to work following maternity leave they will be considered an early leaver, and the relevant Early Termination charges will apply.
You are entitled to a maximum of two weeks paternity leave at full pay. Salary exchange reductions will therefore continue to operate during this time.
Parental leave is unpaid, therefore please see the question below regarding unpaid leave.
Approved unpaid leave
The CAMbens Car may be retained throughout a period of unpaid leave or you can select Early Termination of the agreement period (See the ‘Resignation/Early Termination’ section for more information).
Where you have chosen to retain the vehicle, on your return to work you will be able to opt to:
- Continue with the same reduced salary and reductions for an extended period beyond the agreed period (but returning the vehicle until the original agreement end date).
- Increase the reduction in salary until the end of the agreed period so as to cover any outstanding sums due.
Should your employment terminate before you have repaid any outstanding costs associated with the Scheme, these will be deducted from your final salary payment. To the extent these are not covered by your final salary payment, you will be required to repay any outstanding costs associated with the Scheme within 14 days of your termination date.
The car provided through this scheme will be retained throughout the period of sickness absence. The salary exchange will continue throughout your absence period (whether you are in receipt of full or half pay). Reductions in salary will not however be applied to any protected payments such as Statutory Sick Pay or if your salary after salary exchange falls below the National Minimum Wage (‘eligible pay’).
If you are temporarily not in receipt of Eligible Pay, but remain an employee of the University, then one of four options may apply:
- Continue with the same reduced salary and reductions for an extended period of up to 6 months beyond the agreed hire period (but returning the vehicle at the original agreement end date).
- Increase the reduction in salary until the end of the agreed period so as to cover any outstanding sums due (subject to National Minimum Wage restrictions).
- Early Termination of the agreement period for the Vehicle (see section Resignation/Early Termination for more information).
- Continue the payments via an alternative arrangement that will be agreed with the University at the time.
However in all circumstances:
- The University must be reimbursed for the full amount of all salary exchange reductions due under the agreement. They must be paid back no later than 6 months beyond the initial 2 year agreement period.
- If after 30 months from the start of the agreement, any payments under this agreement have yet to be made, the full balance (i.e. the total of all reductions yet to be made) will become payable to the University. The University may seek to deduct this from any future net salary payments due to you or, if the University decides otherwise, you may be required to pay the outstanding balance to the University within 14 days of request. In either case, you will no longer be entitled to the salary exchange tax exemptions.
Change to contractual hours
Where you have selected to change your working hours, you can opt to retain the car through this scheme, providing that your income levels do not fall below the National Minimum Wage limit as a result. Where income levels fall below the National Minimum Wage limit you will no longer be able to continue with the Car through this scheme and any Early Termination Charge as a result will need to be met by you. You may alternatively choose to purchase the car, settling the amount as agreed with Tusker.
Redundancy and retirement
Where the agreement period has not expired and you do not wish to purchase the car, it must be returned and you must pay the Early Termination Charge in full within 14 days with the exception of costs incurred from any fair wear and tear.
Subject to the Early Termination section, where you resign or decide to terminate the agreement early before the end of the agreement period you will be liable for any resulting Early Termination Charge as a net deduction. All requests for Early Terminations must be directed to Tusker. You will be liable for all costs associated with the Early Termination of the vehicle.
Order cancellation prior to delivery
If, for any reason you need to cancel your order prior to arranging delivery of the car, any costs incurred for cancelling will be passed on to you. The amount of the cancellation charge will vary depending on the vehicle selected and the point at which you cancel. If you do need to cancel your vehicle you will need to contact Tusker who will be able to advise you of any charge. To limit the charge you are advised to contact the Tusker as soon as you are aware of your need to cancel.