skip to content

Minor damage incurred

If the cost to repair the damage is less than your insurance excess, and is not in line with what the BVRLA would normally deem fair wear and tear that is expected when running a vehicle (i.e. small surface scratches, stone chips, etc.) you should arrange for your car to be repaired before it is returned at the end of the agreement. All costs for minor damage that are not covered under maintenance or insurance should be met by you at the time of repair or they will be deducted from your salary. Examples of this type of damage can include but is not limited to, damage to alloy wheels or upholstery caused by driver misuse or negligence. A copy of the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear guidelines is available on the Tusker website.

MOT, Maintenance and service arrangements

As a participant of the scheme you are responsible for arranging routine maintenance, servicing and MOT certificates (where applicable). To book your car in for servicing, maintenance and repairs, you can do this through the Tusker website or by telephoning the Tusker Driverline on 0333 400 2020.

Cars must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's service schedule or the warranty will not be valid. If any warranty claim is rejected for reason of lack of routine servicing, the University of Cambridge reserves the right to recharge any costs incurred as a result to you. You must ensure that the authorised garage stamps the service book after each service. When returning a vehicle, the service book must accompany it. Any fines incurred as a result of not arranging MOT certification in time will be charged to you.

Servicing and the provision of a replacement car

All garages used for servicing provide a collection and delivery service where your car can be picked up and dropped off at your home or work location. If you require a courtesy car the availability will depend on whether the garage we use offers this service, the notice given and the availability. You are advised to book your service with as much notice as possible to increase your chances of receiving a courtesy car. Please note that the provision of a courtesy car may sometimes incur a small charge.


Replacement tyres are included in the scheme. You can arrange for your tyres to be replaced by calling the Driverline on 0333 400 2020. They can direct you to the nearest supplier or they can arrange for a mobile tyre unit to come to you at a location of your choice.

The legal limit for tyre tread is 1.6mm but your CAMbens Car tyres will be replaced when their tread depth reaches 2mm. Tyres with any punctures or side-wall damage, irrespective of tread depth will be replaced.

Glass damage

Replacement glass is included within the motor insurance policy. You must arrange for your glass to be repaired or replaced by calling the Driverline on 0333 400 2020. They will advise you of your nearest supplier or arrange for a glass specialist to come to you at a location of your choosing. The service will replace manufacturers' standard windscreens, door glass and heated rear windows. If you arrange your own glass replacement the cost cannot be recovered.

Vehicle concerns

If you are concerned about the performance of your car you should contact the Driver line on 0333 400 2020 who will arrange for your car to be assessed for any maintenance failure and repaired. Only in circumstances where the maintenance fault is not deemed to be the result of driver negligence or misuse (or is covered by insurance), will the cost of the repair be covered by Tusker. Where there is driver negligence or misuse you will need to pay for the cost of the repair. In the event that the repairs are arranged by Tusker these charges will be deducted from your net salary.

Road Fund Licence arrangements

Tusker is responsible for re-licensing cars. From October 2014 you will no longer be required to display the paper tax disc as all road fund licences will be fully computerised.

Parking and other fines

You are responsible for any statutory notices and fines.

You must:

  • pay for all parking fines, fees or penalties, speeding fines, bus lane fines and any other fines issued to you during the term of the agreement relating to the vehicle or your use of the vehicle including those which result from motoring offences, violation or traffic or parking regulations.
  • pay the London congestion charge if you enter the appropriate zone.

Where notification of fines is sent directly to Tusker we will pay them on your behalf and recharge this cost to you together with an administration fee. If as registered keeper of the Vehicle, Tusker receives notification of any speeding fine or non-payment of a fixed penalty notice, Tusker will charge an Administration fee of £10 plus VAT for dealing with such notification. If you wish to challenge a fine you should do that directly with the issuing authority. If you are successful any amount deducted through your salary will be paid back to you in the next available pay month.

Taking your vehicle abroad

Your car insurance includes full cover throughout the European Community including Croatia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland (limited to 28 days for any one trip).

If you wish to take your car to Europe, you will need to contact us to arrange a VE103b certificate, which gives you authorisation to take the vehicle abroad. There is a small administration charge involved to issue this certificate however the document is valid for 12 months and is a legal requirement. Without this document you may find yourself unable to take the vehicle out of the country.

Notifying Tusker of change of details

If your contact details change, for example a change of address, you will need to notify Tusker or log onto the Tusker website to update your details online.

Obligations as a CAMbens Car driver

As a CAMbens Car driver you should ensure that your car is in good running order. This includes:

  • Ensuring you drive within the legal requirements.
  • Regularly checking fuel, oil, batteries, water and tyre pressure.
  • Following service schedules as required by manufacturer's specifications
  • Taking action to bring your car to an approved garage when a warning notification appears on the dashboard.
  • Maintaining essential parts of the car within legal safety standards including brakes, tyres, lighting, steering, windscreen wipers and washers.
  • Arranging immediate repairs when necessary.
  • All other obligations set out in your motor insurance policy

Business mileage

The University will pay a mileage allowance where employees use their CAMbens Car for business travel. Business travel means journeys which employees make to or from a place they have to attend in the performance of their duties but not any travel between home and a University site. The rates of mileage reimbursement when using a CAMbens Car are determined by HMRC and set out in the HMRC Advisory fuel rate tables.

When completing your expense form you will need to state the mileage reimbursement applicable for your car. For more information, please see Expenses Claims information on the Finance Division website.

Smoking policy whilst using your CAMbens Car

All cars on the CAMbens Car scheme are classed as company cars and therefore it is against the law to smoke in them.

Adjusting your mileage

If your actual mileage is likely to be significantly higher or lower than the mileage you expected to be driving, it is possible to amend your Salary Exchange Agreement in order for you to avoid incurring significant excess mileage charges at the end of the agreement, or being charged for mileage not used.

If you wish to make a change to your agreement contact the Tusker Driverline on 0333 400 2020.