skip to content

Applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain/Settlement

Gaining Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)/Settlement in the UK is possible through a variety of different routes, and how you gain it depends on the type of visas you hold/held and over what period of time.

The most common route for our non-EEA University staff to gain settlement is through either the five year “work route” or the ten year “long residence” route. Therefore, guidance on these two routes only will be covered within this guidance.

Note: for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals applying for ‘settled status’, that is a different legal route, and guidance on that can be found here:

This guidance is designed to be basic guidance for straightforward cases. If, having read this guidance, you are unsure as to your eligibility for ILR through the five year or ten year route, please seek further guidance from the Compliance Team.