skip to content

The University of Cambridge Careers Service and the Career Pathways Project are just a few of the ways that the University provides valuable careers support.

University Careers Service

The Careers Service provides careers advice and information to all current University of Cambridge undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as postdocs, contract research staff and Cambridge alumni.


The University of Cambridge offers exciting opportunities for new and current members of staff to earn while they learn in a world-leading academic institution.  The University is committed to nurturing talent and developing expertise through providing relevant vocational and professional apprenticeships across all of its departments and institutions.  Apprentices of all ages can train alongside experienced staff, benefiting from tailored learning and developing their professional skills whilst helping to meet the current and future needs of the University.

Tools to support development 

Behavioural attributes describe a range of characteristics that can be measured and used to support expected behaviour across all grades and staff groups in the University. 'Positive indicators' are used to give examples of what may be expected.

Role-specific skills have been identified for the following job families: administrators, HR focused roles, library staff and technicians. They form collections of expected generic skills by grade in these areas and these can be added to dependent on individual roles.

Leave for career and personal development

Long-term Study Leave

If you are a member of Assistant Staff and have ten or more years' service you may apply to your Head of Institution for a period of unpaid leave up to nine months to undertake a course of study or professional development. This must be of benefit to both you and your Institution. Leave may be granted provided your duties can be covered at no extra cost to the University. You may be eligible for a reduced staff fee for a course at the University of Cambridge.

Sabbatical Leave

If you are a University Teaching Officer, or hold a comparable appointment, you may be eligible for sabbatical leave. Sabbatical leave frees you from your teaching and administrative commitments to enable you to concentrate on your research and scholarship during one term in every six terms of service, up to three terms entitlement. During this leave you continue to receive full pay.

Unpaid leave of absence

If you are a member of academic, academic-related and research staff then you can seek permission of the Council or the General Board to unpaid leave from your University duties. This may be requested, for example, if you are invited to be a visiting scholar in another academic institution, or if you win a British Academy or Royal Society fellowship, research fellowship or similar award. Further details can be found on the summary of leave table for academic or professional reasons.