skip to content

Applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain/Settlement

Note: for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals applying for ‘settled status’, that is a different legal route, and guidance on that can be found here:

Gaining Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)/Settlement in the UK is possible through a variety of different routes, and how you gain it depends on the type of visas you hold/held and over what period of time.

The most common routes through which our non-EEA University staff can gain settlement are the three year Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)/Global Talent route, the five year “work route” or the ten year “long residence” route. Therefore, guidance on these three routes only will be covered within this guidance.

This guidance is designed for straightforward cases. If, having read this guidance, you are unsure as to your eligibility for ILR through the three, five or ten year routes, please seek further guidance from the Compliance Team.