skip to content

Human Resources


Assistant Staff

The University recognises two trade unions for collective bargaining and consultation for all staff with the status of University Assistant; the unions also advise, support and represent their members in relation to individual matters. Each union appoints officers, members of the University and Assistants Joint Board, and workplace representatives who are available to advise and support their members.

Union representatives also sit on the Committee of Management of the Contributory Pension Scheme and its Investments Sub-Committee, the Committee for Safety, the Accommodation Syndicate, and the Advisory Committee for Disability.

As a trade union member, if you wish you may authorise the University in writing to deduct trade union subscriptions from your salary to be paid directly to the union concerned.

Further details can be found at the Recognised Trade Unions page.

Academic, Academic-Related and Research Staff

The University and College Union (UCU) is the union for academic, academic-related and research staff, and at national level negotiates with universities on pay. It also plays a major role in campaigning on university issues. The Cambridge University and College Union has its own website, given below.