Induction is the process for welcoming newly recruited employees and supporting them to adjust to their new roles and working environments. Starting a new job can be a stressful experience and new employees need help to settle in. The University’s induction programme will provide new employees with all of the necessary information, including local welcome events and activities.
The induction you will receive in your local department/institution will enable you to:
- Meet your key colleagues;
- Find your way around your workplace;
- Understand your terms and conditions of employment;
- Understand your role, key responsibilities and how you fit into your department/institution;
- Know what is expected of you and the way in which your work will be monitored;
- Know how you will be managed and supported to carry out your duties;
- Access University and local policies and procedures; and
- Identify any training and development needs that have to be met to enable you to undertake your role effectively.
At the beginning of your induction, you will be provided with an Employee Induction Checklist (HR24). You can work through this with your line manager (or the person responsible for your induction) and use it as a prompt for ensuring that key aspects of your induction are covered. The Employee Induction Checklist should be completed within your first month and then provided to your department/institution administrator or other appropriate support staff for retention on your local personal file.
The Employee Induction Checklist does not only cover local induction activity—it also explains how and when you can take part in the University's two-stage induction. These stages are as follows:
- The Induction Online programme is a quick and easy web resource to help you to understand how the University operates and what it's like to work here. It also provides you with essential information on the benefits, entitlements, support services and opportunities available to you as a member of University staff. To access this resource you will need a Raven password.
- The Welcome to Cambridge event, hosted by Personal and Professional Development (PPD) includes a welcome from a senior member of the University and the opportunity to network with other new colleagues, whilst learning some key facts about the University. Refreshments will be available during the event, with updates on the wide range of opportunities and sources of support offered by the University. Welcome to Cambridge is held once each term.
You are encouraged to take an active role in ensuring that your induction programme meets your needs effectively. If you have any concerns, you must raise these with your line manager, or another suitable senior colleague at the earliest opportunity.
We also provide a range of essential information through online learning packages. These cover various topics, including induction, equal opportunities and health and safety. Details can be found at the following link: https://www.ppd.admin.cam.ac.uk/online-learning-0