skip to content

The administration of the UK border, which includes all ports, airports and entry points into the UK, is operated by UK Border Force, which is part of the Home Office. All visa administration is operated by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), which is also part of the Home Office.  You will likely have contact with both when you travel to the UK.

Visa advice and guidance

Based within the HR Division, the Compliance Team offers an expert, in-house immigration advice service to all current and prospective staff and visitors. Specifically we can advise on the following areas:

  • Applications under the points-based system, specifically:
    • Global Talent visas
    • Skilled Worker visas
    • Government Authorised Exchange
    • Youth Mobility Scheme
  • Applications for family members of UK and EU/EEA nationals;
  • UK Ancestry visas;
  • Settlement (ILR) applications under the 5-year and 10-year routes;
  • Citizenship applications;
  • Advice regarding short-term visits to the UK through the 'business', 'academic' and 'permitted paid engagement' categories of the Standard Visitor visa;
  • Assistance with UK visa refusals and Administrative Reviews.

If your visa and/or passport is lost or stolen, please follow the instructions on the University’s HR Immigration webpages for the steps you need to take.

For students seeking advice on Tier 4 (General)/Student, Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme, Graduate or short-term study visas, please contact the International Student Team.

Regulation of Immigration advice and services

The University of Cambridge is exempt from regulation by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). The OISC has provided special dispensation to the University and permits us to provide immigration advice on any aspect of UK immigration matters to our current or prospective staff. The University is bound by the OISC Code of Standards when providing immigration advice or services.


Interest-free visa loan scheme

The interest free visa loan scheme offers loans of up to £10,000 to current and prospective employees. This can be used towards meeting the costs associated with Skilled Worker and Global Talent visas, and settlement, applications for employees and their dependants. Full details including the application procedure and eligibility criteria can be found on the Visas and Immigration webpages.


What can I expect when I arrive at the UK border?

Depending on your nationality, there are different procedures which you must follow once you arrive at the UK border. The UKVI webpages provides guidance on the following topics:

Entering the UK - The guidance on this webpage explains the procedures for entering the UK, including what documents you will require before you leave and what to expect on arrival in the UK.

Customs information - The guidance on this webpage explains the restrictions on what you can bring into the UK, and how to go through customs controls.