skip to content

It is important to arrange accommodation in advance. As an international member of staff, you have a number of options open to you in terms of finding accommodation. The University of Cambridge has a dedicated Accommodation Service who can help locate both short term and medium to long term accommodation and can provide you with support and assistance in finding accommodation to suit your needs.  They also provide guidance on:

Temporary accommodation

If you are looking for temporary accommodation, Cambridge and the surrounding areas is host to a number of hotels and bed and breakfasts (B&B).  The University Accommodation Service has an up-to-date list of temporary accommodation in Cambridge and surrounding areas. More information on availability of hotels and B&Bs can also be found on the Visit Cambridge website.

Rental Accommodation

We recommend contacting the University of Cambridge Accommodation Service in the first instance if you are searching for a rented property. They have a houses and flats available for rental provided by the University of Cambridge, by private landlords and some by Colleges in the University. They also have rooms and bedsits provided by private landlords and Colleges, some in shared houses, and others in domestic homes. These are available on both long and medium-term basis (more than 3 weeks). In Cambridge, it is difficult to obtain self-contained accommodation for less than 6 months.

The Accommodation Service provides further advice and guidance on their webpages relating to:


Eddington (North West Cambridge Development) is a brand new district located 2km northwest of the city centre of Cambridge. The area has a supermarket, nursery, primary school, the award-winning Storey’s Field Centre for community and arts events, a playground, sports pitches, and Brook Leys parkland. Residents have access to regular subsidised buses to West Cambridge, the city centre, railway station and Addenbrooke’s; in addition to hundreds of secure bike parking spaces and communal garden areas. Find out more by visiting

Eddington residents are more than four times more likely to be “very satisfied” with their accommodation when compared to the general Cambridge rental market. See what some of Eddington’s residents had to say about their new homes:

“I like the spacious layout generally in my apartment. Ceiling to floor windows make it so light and airy – it looks so modern and fresh. The design of the apartment makes it very warm in winter and quite cool in the summer – very well designed.”

“It’s a nice new place with green areas. All you need is really close (supermarket, schools, parks, etc.) There’s a bus right outside my door.”

“I could not afford to live in Cambridge if not for this development.”



Purchasing property

The University of Cambridge operates a number of schemes to assist staff relocating to the Cambridge area with the purchase of a property.

Shared Equity Scheme

The University runs a shared equity scheme, which provides financial assistance to new members of academic or academic-related staff with the purchase of living accommodation in the Cambridge area. Under the terms of the scheme, the University may pay for a direct share in the equity of a property purchased by a member of staff (and possible co-owner) as their primary residence. For further information on the scheme please see the HR webpages.

Reimbursement of Relocation Expenses

If you are new to the University and relocating to Cambridge on a centrally-funded appointment of two years or more, the University offers a Scheme for the Reimbursement of Relocation Expenses. This scheme provides financial assistance (up to £8,000) with relocation costs for moves within the UK and from overseas.

If you are eligible for this scheme and are looking to buy a house, the types of cost you are permitted to claim include:

  • Solicitors' fees in respect of sale and purchase
  • Search, survey and property enquiry fees
  • Mortgage arrangement/redemption fees
  • Estate agents' buying/selling fees or advertising costs
  • Storage costs to a maximum period of 26 weeks
  • Stamp duty
  • Valuation fees
  • Conveyancing
  • Land registry fees
  • Registration fees

The University would seek reimbursement of expenses in the event of an individual leaving employment earlier than expected. This would be on a graduated basis. Please see the webpages above for further details.