skip to content


The principles of the Dignity at Work Policy apply to staff of the University and all visitors to the University (including academic visitors and visiting researchers, visitors to University museums or those attending public events, customers, contractors, suppliers and their staff). This list is not exhaustive.

If a member of staff wishes to raise a complaint they may do so by raising either a grievance or a dignity at work complaint, depending on which is more appropriate given the nature of their complaint and the scope of the Dignity at Work Policy. Both routes provide fair and comprehensive grievance procedures and both provide channels of appeal in the event that the individual is not satisfied with the outcome. Please note however that, except for University Officers (whose employment is governed by University Statutes and Ordinances), staff are not entitled to raise the same grievance under both procedures.

In circumstances where a student has a complaint concerning the behaviour of a member of University staff, the matter should be dealt with under the University’s Student Complaints Procedure. The procedure is set out in University Statutes and Ordinances. The Head of Institution (or equivalent) may however instigate the Dignity at Work Policy in response to a student complaint in discussion with the Office of Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals (OSCCA) and the Human Resources Division.

A student may wish to seek support from his/her Tutor, Director of Studies, Supervisor/Advisor, Director of Undergraduate Education, Director of Graduate Education, Head of Institution, College Nurse or Chaplain, or an officer of the relevant student union (including the Students’ Unions’ Advice Service).

Members of University staff who have a complaint against a student should contact their HR Business Manager/Adviser in the first instance. Click here for details of the HR teams attached to each institution. They may also like to seek support from their Head of Institution who may liaise with the Director of Studies, Director of Undergraduate Education, Director of Graduate Education or other source of support as appropriate.